Current:Home > reviewsJudge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial -ProfitClass
Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 14:58:33
NEW YORK (AP) — A former high-ranking Mexican official tried to bribe fellow inmates into making false statements to support his bid for a new trial in a U.S. drug case, a judge found Wednesday in rejecting Genaro García Luna ‘s request.
García Luna, who once held a cabinet-level position as Mexico’s top public safety official, was convicted last year of taking payoffs to protect the drug cartels he was supposed to go after. He is awaiting sentencing and denies the charges.
Prosecutors discovered his alleged jailhouse bribery efforts and disclosed them in a court filing earlier this year, citing such evidence as a former cellmate’s handwritten notes and covert recording of a conversation with García Luna. His lawyers said the allegations were bogus and the recording was ambiguous.
But U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan found them believable.
“This was a clear scheme by defendant to obstruct justice through bribery,” Cogan wrote.
He also turned down defense lawyers’ other arguments for a new trial, including assertions that some prosecution witness gave false testimony at trial and that the defense wasn’t given some potentially helpful information that prosecutors were obliged to turn over.
“We are extraordinarily disappointed with the court’s decision,” defense lawyer César de Castro said, adding that “the court did not address fundamental problems with this prosecution.”
García Luna plans to appeal, his lawyer said.
Prosecutors declined to comment on Wednesday’s decision.
After the verdict, defense attorneys submitted a sworn statement from an inmate who said he got to know a prosecution witness at a Brooklyn federal jail before García Luna’s trial.
The inmate said that the witness vowed he was “going to screw” García Luna by testifying against him, and that the witness talked on a contraband cellphone to a second government witness.
Defense lawyers said the alleged comments buttressed their claim that García Luna was framed by cartel members and corrupt officials seeking leniency for themselves. The purported cellphone conversations also could have contradicted prosecutors’ argument that the witnesses were credible because they hadn’t talked in years, so couldn’t have coordinated their stories.
But prosecutors said in a March court filing that the inmate who gave the sworn statement has a psychotic disorder with hallucinations. In government interviews, the witnesses denied the alleged communications, according to prosecutors.
And, they said, García Luna, who’s at the same Brooklyn lockup, offered other inmates as much as $2 million to make similar claims about communications among the witnesses. He also asked one of the inmates to persuade yet another to say he’d overheard a cellphone conversation involving the second government witness about concocting a false claim of having bribed García Luna, according to prosecutors.
The intermediary, whom defense lawyers identified as a former García Luna cellmate, made the notes and recording.
The judge concluded that García Luna’s lawyers didn’t know about his endeavors.
García Luna, 56, was convicted on charges that include engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise. He faces at least 20 years and as much as life in prison at his sentencing Oct. 9.
García Luna was Mexico’s public security secretary from 2006 to 2012.
veryGood! (7)
Related
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Donald Trump is the most prominent politician to link immigrants and crime but not the first
- Tom Fenton, former CBS News correspondent, dies at age 94
- North Carolina House Democratic deputy leader Clemmons to resign from Legislature
- Clay Aiken's son Parker, 15, makes his TV debut, looks like his father's twin
- Webcam monitors hundreds of rattlesnakes at a Colorado ‘mega den’ for citizen science
- Caitlin Clark at the Brickyard: NASCAR driver Josh Berry to feature WNBA star on his car
- Out-of-state officers shot and killed a man wielding two knives blocks away from the RNC, police say
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Patrick Mahomes Reveals If He Wants More Kids With Pregnant Brittany Mahomes After Baby No. 3
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- Moon caves? New discovery offers possible shelter for future explorers
- Residents evacuated in Nashville, Illinois after dam overtops and floods amid heavy rainfall
- Ingrid Andress says she was 'drunk' during national anthem performance, will check into rehab
- Messi injury update: Ankle 'better every day' but Inter Miami star yet to play Leagues Cup
- Kathy Willens, pathbreaking Associated Press photographer who captured sports and more, dies at 74
- 2nd Washington man pleads not guilty in 2022 attacks on Oregon electrical grids
- MLB national anthem performers: What to know about Cody Johnson, Ingrid Andress
Recommendation
Mega Millions winning numbers for August 6 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $398 million
Joe Manganiello Says Sofía Vergara's Reason for Divorce Is Simply Not True
College pals, national champs, now MLB All-Stars: Adley Rutschman and Steven Kwan reunite
Social Security recipients must update their online accounts. Here's what to know.
Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
Horoscopes Today, July 16, 2024
Home equity has doubled in seven years for Americans. But how do you get at the money?
MLB players in the LA Olympics? Rob Manfred says it's being discussed